Life has been getting busier lately, with weddings, summer events, and preparing for classes to start. I recently even began a big clean out of my room and closet (sometimes I just get an organization itch and I have to scratch it!) and now I have one, whole dresser drawer that is empty. Amazing! Now I’m thinking “Why not fill it with new stuff??” Oh yeah… I’m a bit broke right now. So, all I can do is create a wish list until I have the funds to purchase the items I’m currently loving. I’m not complaining about my temporary lack of money, though, because the reason is that I finally bought my own car last week!! Yay! It’s great not having to drive other people’s vehicles anymore. Anyway, because I’m still writing my post on my mission to use up old products last month, today I’m going to show you guys some great items that are sitting in my online shopping carts just waiting to be bought.Read More »
I’m here today to talk to you guys about a subscription service for nail and beauty products called the Julep Maven box. This particular subscription service focuses on nail polish, but also includes many other beauty products. I found this subscription service through Facebook. There was an amazing offer for a free welcome box, and when there’s nail polish involved, I have a hard time resisting! I decided to sign up and receive my first box free, not knowing if I would continue the service afterwards. The box shipped fairly quickly and I received it within the time frame they said I would. I was really excited to open my box! The only disappointing thing was that the shipping people did not take care of the box and it looked like it had been slightly crushed. Nevertheless, the products inside the box were in perfect condition and the packaging was so cute. So let’s take a peek!Read More »
Last Monday, the 20th, was my birthday and I turned 22 (cue the Taylor Swift music). It wasn’t a milestone birthday or anything, but I feel like the jump from 21 to 22 is bigger than the one from 20 to 21. During the weekend before my birthday, I got to enjoy some time with my best friend while shopping and even having a sleep over like we used to as teenagers. However, the fact that we’re young adults with jobs and busy lives became apparent when we got sleepy at 11. My boyfriend took me out as well and we spent most of the time looking at cars because I’m finally ready to buy one for myself. Yay for adult things! The evening of my birthday I ate at a yummy local taqueria and went shopping at Ulta and Target, so I have some great makeup items to show you guys, as well as some clothes that will be featured in later posts. My birthday shopping was definitely a success. I used my “new” Nikon camera for these photos, so I apologize if they’re not the best quality. I’m still playing around with the settings.Read More »
There are certain colors I stay away from because of my red hair and my skin tone. Some of those include bright reds, oranges, yellows, and up until now, any corals. But then I came across “Cheeky” by e.l.f. cosmetics. Read More »
My approach to makeup is simple. It’s fun, creative, and a great way to try new things. I use it as a hobby and a creative outlet. Sometimes it even works as a confidence booster when I’ve been too scared to wear that one bold lip color, but decide to swipe it on anyway and not care what anyone says or thinks. Trying out new makeup and treating myself to new products is something that’s always enjoyable. And that’s what I always want to do with makeup: enjoy it. The moment when my routine becomes too laborious or difficult is the moment I’ve lost the “fun” aspect of makeup. And the moment I become dependent on makeup to feel beautiful and confident all the time is the moment I’ve lost an important aspect of self-esteem. There are so many makeup products and trends out there that navigating the whole field can be intimidating and make you feel inadequate for not doing certain things. Sometimes you may think, “Do I really need that product? Do I really need to do my makeup like that?” The answer is no. No one needs to follow any makeup trend. The goal is to find what works best for you and your life. Personally, most of the year I’m attending college classes. On those days through the fall, winter, and spring, I need simple, easy routines. And even when I have an event to go to or a night out, I still don’t spend an hour doing my makeup. Usually my routine takes 20 minutes, 30 at the most, 10 minutes when I’m in a hurry. Maybe you can relate to the need for uncomplicated everyday makeup routines or the desire to not put all of your confidence in makeup. If you can, you’ve probably felt pressured at one time or another to follow a makeup trend because it seemed like everyone was doing it. I’ve been thinking about three of those recently. Now, I’m not completely disregarding these trends or the people who do them regularly. Kudos to those who are talented enough to do these well! I’m actually a bit jealous of some of the talent I see. My perspective is simply offered to those who want a simpler, less-involved approach to makeup–the “everyday” makeup girl.
Read More »
Pinterest is a website that I either binge on for hours at a time or I forget about for a few weeks. There’s really no in between. I have been more active lately after starting this blog, though. It’s a great place for finding inspiration…and fantasizing over what your wardrobe could be like or how organized you could be. But let’s face it, many of our dreams for projects and beautiful desserts get forgotten or they just don’t turn out right! Despite all of this, I’ve added yet another board to my page titled “Home Inspiration.” I won’t be buying a home for the next couple of years or so, but I will be moving out in a about a year to go to grad school, so I assume it’s a good time to start thinking about how I want my living space to be! And in order to lessen the stress of the reality of moving out, I’ve been making it fun to think about how my place will look. Read More »
Here are the rules for this award:
- Thank and follow the blog that nominated you.
- Tell us 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions that were set for you to answer.
- Nominate 11 bloggers and set questions for them.
- I’m the oldest in my family
- I play piano, but have also tried violin and guitar
- I’m studying psychology in college
- My favorite colors are green and turquoise
- I have the best boyfriend ever and we’re coming up on 3 years together this fall!
- I love to get Mello Yellows from McDonalds and pretty much only McDonald’s
- My favorite tv shows are Supernatural, Doctor Who, The Walking Dead, and Criminal Minds
- I love roller coasters
- My biggest fear is earthquakes
- I’m going to be a bridesmaid for the first time in August (I’m so excited for my friend to get married!!)
- I’m not really an animal person…at all
Nerdy Beauty’s Questions:
- Where is your favorite vacation spot? Sadly, I haven’t been on too many vacations. I’d love to go somewhere by the beach or to Europe.
- What is your favorite makeup item? It’s a tie between eyeshadow and lip gloss/stick
- What inspired you to start your blog? It was honestly just kind of a whim! I’ve always liked sharing my nail art and talking about makeup and such, so I thought, why not just blog about it??
- What is your favorite social media platform? It would have to be Tumblr. Unlimited gifs of my favorite tv shows? Yes please.
- What is your favorite holiday? I’ve never really thought about this before…I guess Christmas! Valentine’s day is a close 2nd.
- What is your favorite TV show? I answered this above 🙂 Honorable mentions are also Once Upon a Time and Parks and Recreation.
- Why are you continuing to blog? Well, I’ve only just started so I’m still figuring things out and growing my blog.
- What is your favorite beauty hack? Using concealer as eye primer. It saves me money!
- What beauty item are you most likely to splurge on? A good foundation, mascara, or blush.
- Do you consider yourself a novice, mediocre or expert about makeup? Probably mediocre. I’m not a beginner, but I still have a lot to learn.
- What is your favorite dish to cook? Does guacamole count? I don’t “cook” it, but it’s my favorite thing to fix and eat!!
2. Wilde Chic
Questions for my Nominees:
- Why do you or don’t you wear makeup?
- Play any instruments?
- What is your favorite thing to blog about?
- What is your least favorite thing about blogging?
- What other hobbies do you have?
- How would you describe your style?
- Favorite types of music?
- What is a goal you’re currently trying to achieve?
- What kind of career would you like to have?
- What’s your favorite food?
- Where do you spend most of your time on the internet besides your blog?
Thanks again to Nerdy Beauty for the tag! This was a fun post to write up and hopefully I’ll get to see some of my nominees’ posts as well!
Every once in awhile I get an itch to clean out and purge my room of unwanted items. My challenge for this month, No Buy July, prompted my newest itch last week! Since I can’t buy any new products, this month is the perfect opportunity to focus on what I do have and clean out things that are too old or that I never use. So, with that in mind, I went through all my makeup, hair care, skin care, and fragrance items to find products that were getting next to no use, if any at all. I found quite a bit of stuff that I haven’t touched in months. Some of it I regret not using, some of it I was eager to throw out. I divided all my items into two groups: items I will use up or throw out by the end of this month and items that are getting thrown out now. Read More »
June was such a busy month! It seemed like everyone was wanting to throw parties or get together. Things have slowed down just a bit and we’re well into July now, so I’ve been able to gather all my favorite purchases from last month for this post! I’ve got a NYX haul and some things from this super cute shop called Ban.dō that I can’t wait to share with you guys. I think I’ll be set for awhile, which is good because I’m participating in “No Buy July.” I talked a little bit about it in this post here. So far it’s going great! I haven’t bought a single fashion or beauty item and my bank account is thanking me!Read More »
It’s time for another tag! This one is so much fun because it’s more personal than other kinds of tags. I’ve been blogging for about a month now, so it’s probably a good time to start being a bit more personal so you guys can get to know me some more! I found this particular tag on Makeup by Amy Perrone and it looks like it’s gone around quite a bit. Well, time to dive in and spread the tag some more!
1. How old were you when you started wearing makeup?
I was about 12, I think, and in 6th grade. I started experimenting with eyeshadow (yes, the horrible blue colors) and I would wear some mascara. I always went with brown though, until a few years ago, because I thought black was too dark. It’s only been in the past couple of years that I’ve really delved into makeup and started trying different products like lipstick and foundation, which seem like normal stuff, but my makeup history has been simple!
2. How did you get into makeup?
I suppose I just wanted to seem grown up when I first started. It seemed like every other girl was wearing makeup, so I wanted to as well!
3. What are some of your favorite brands?
My two favorites are e.l.f. and NYX! Most of my stuff is from those two brands. They’re affordable and they have a lot of quality items.
4. What does makeup mean to you?
Makeup is just a lot of fun for me! I try not to take it too seriously because I don’t want to start using it to make me feel better about myself. I want to feel comfortable with or without it, but sometimes it helps me with my confidence by allowing me to experiment and try new things!
5. If you could only wear 4 products on your face what would they be?
Concealer, powder, mascara, and a tinted lip balm!
6. What is your favorite thing about makeup?
I love how creative it can be! I especially love that I can do so many things with just eyeshadow and create so many looks.
7. What do you think about drugstore makeup vs. high end makeup?
I pretty much only use drugstore makeup, so I don’t have much of a comparison. But I’ve found that many drugstore makeup brands have really good items and you don’t have to pay a ton of money to get them!
8. What is one tip of advice you can give a beginner?
Start simple. You don’t have to dive right into contouring and eyebrows and winged eyeliner if it all seems too overwhelming. Just try some everyday makeup stuff!
9. What is one makeup trend you never understood?
I don’t really understand the extreme contouring. It just seems like too much work and I don’t understand why you would want to change the shape of your face and its features. It would be a lot to keep up with!
10. What do you think about the beauty community on Youtube?
I don’t really know much about it, so I don’t really have an opinion. I watch videos every once in awhile though!